eat like a mouse



"... when we eat affects our well being as much as what we eat. The latest study, by researchers at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in La Jolla and published this week in the journal Cell Metabolism, fleshes out the limits and possibilities of using the clock to prevent or reduce obesity and to improve health.

The experiment showed that mice which were fed a high-fat diet, but allowed access to food for only 12 hours per day, were healthier and slimmer than mice given access to the same food for the whole day, according to the Telegraph.

Researchers also saw that skipping midnight snacks improved blood sugar and cholesterol levels in the mice, as well as reversed the effects of diabetes. Researchers plan to conduct the same experiment with humans, BBC News reported."



Yet another scientific eating regimen for better health. I dub this one the "Mice Diet". 12 hours a day food intake? I eat breakfast at 7 AM. So I can't eat anything after 7 PM? That means I would have to give up my tasty 9-10 PM popsicle snacks? I could -- but I don't WANT to! I already gave up almost everything: Fat. Sugar. Smoking. Drinking. Partying. Gambling. Staying up late. Younger women. Anger.

How should we eat? What kind of a diet/eating plan should we maintain? High-fat or low-fat? Low carbs or high carbs? Lots of fruits and veggies, SOME fruits and vegetables or No fruits and vegetables? Meat or no meat? Calories matter or calories don't matter? Eat small meals all day or eat for only half the day? Lots of diets. Lots of contradictions. And all of them claim better health. They ALL can't work!

Me? I'm sticking with my "balanced diet"; i.e. some of everything, not too much of anything.

And popsicles.