I don't know



I find myself saying "I don't know" a lot. Why? Because, as the world keeps rapidly changing, and, thanks to technology, getting more complicated, I find myself unable to keep up. I find myself unable to learn or understand the new things that younger people are doing and using to reinvent America. America is changing. America is changing--fast. The things and basic values I took for granted are disappearing, and being replaced by lots of superficial fads and trendy trends.

Thus, all too often my response to a question these days is: "I don't know". All too often, I am noticing that everybody else's response is also "I don't know". Today, it's only the 11-year-olds that know everything.

The older I get, the less I know. Yes, I am over 40, and already becoming a dinosaur. I'm a dinosaur. I don't want to be a dinosaur, they're extinct.

I used to be able to keep up with things, I used to be able to be on top of what's happening. I can't anymore. I also used to be younger. Now, at the advanced age of 60-something, I'm falling behind, the world is going by and, for the first time in my life, I'm not part of it. And, no, I can't learn the new stuff: I can barely drive my car or use my computer, because they're so frickin' complicated. I no longer have the energy or attention span to learn tons of new things. That's what happens when you get old. The good thing is that I get to write fun and funny things about it. And I get to take a nap during the day and eat cake at night. So, while the world whirls by, I get to laugh at it, and myself.

Nonetheless, these days, the older I get, the less I know. I used to be cool. Now, I'm just old. What does that mean? I don't know.