misleading pizza



So, I was in my local supermarket and was in the mood for pizza for dinner. I went to the frozen food pizza section and finally chose a small DiGiorno. The picture on the package made it look tasty. Plus, the TV ads "it's not delivery, it's DiGiorno" made me decide to try that brand. I put the small frozen pizza in my shopping cart. On the way to the checkout I noticed the nutritional label on the front of the box. I had assumed that this small pizza was not too caloric, not too fatty, not too sugary. I looked at the nutritional info. 9.2 ounces. Small. Not too many calories, not too much fat content. Not too bad. Not bad at all. 340 calories, 7 grams of fat and 6 grams of sugar. I could eat that. Then I noticed, in small letters above the nutrient listing, the serving size. Per 1/2 pizza. WHAT? The serving size was half the pizza. Half a small pizza? Who eats half a small pizza? No one. EVERYONE with an appetite eats the whole 9.2 oz pizza. That meant, if I ate the whole thing (and I planned to) I would be eating DOUBLE the listed nutritional content. That would be 680 calories. 14 grams of fat. 12 grams of sugar. For someone watching their weight and watching their caloric, fat and sugar intake, THAT'S not so healthy!


The lettering for the serving size listed on the box was small. Camouflaged in the pizza picture. Easy to miss. You would also be distracted by the yummy picture of the pizza and, if you looked at the nutrition ingredients you might never notice the 1/2 pizza serving size. As far as I'm concerned, the packaging is misleading! 1/2 pizza indeed! Who eats half a small single serving frozen pizza? Nobody! Is DiGiorno trying to hide the obesity factor in their pizza? Do they want you to think you're eating healthy? What do you think?

Will I EVER buy another one of these small frozen DiGiorno pizzas? What do you think?

UPDATE: I microwaved the pizza. Then I ate it. How was it? The cheese was fairly tasteless. Bland. The crust and dough tasted like the box it came in. Was it edible? Yes. Did I eat the whole thing anyway? Yes. Was it good? No. Was it as good as delivery pizza? Not even close. Do I know good pizza? Yes, I used to live in New York City.

DiGiorno pizza is owned by Nestle.




No comments:

Post a Comment