pizza birds



As I was walking around outside, I noticed a bird, a small sparrow, picking at a large piece of pizza crust on the ground. The bird was enjoying the meal. He seemed to be enjoying the taste of the pizza crust. He was actively picking at it. As I walked near, the bird flew away, even though I told him to stay and enjoy his pizza crust meal. A few minutes later I returned again and the bird was back, snacking away on the pizza crust on the ground. Once again, as I neared, the bird flew away. I was sad. Sad that I, a human, had interrupted the bird's feeding. I hoped the bird would return, and finish his meal.

That pizza crust - that litter - could have fed a lot of non-humans that live near my residence, non-humans such as birds, squirrels, coyotes, raccoons, skunks, bees, butterflies, snakes, deer, and maybe even a mountain lion. No, I don't know which animals like to eat pizza and which do not. I know that sparrow did!

Pizza crust litter on the ground. Human litter. Human litter being recycled, by non-humans. The thought occurred to me that, sometimes, litter might be good for the environment. It might be a good (or bad) addition to the food chain. It depends on the litter. Does that mean that the next time I eat a pizza, I will toss some crust on the ground? No. Maybe.