I need to drink more



Suddenly, I am getting dry mouth. Really dry mouth. Often, my dry mouth is mild during the day but strong enough to wake me up in the middle of the night. After several weeks of suffering, and sucking on sugar-free mint candies, I decided to do some research on the causes and remedies of dry mouth. Here is what I found

The only cause that seemed to fit was dehydration. Dehydration? Not enough liquids? Yes. I had been drinking about 44 ounces of liquid a day. The old saying is: have 8 8-ounce glasses a day. That's 64 ounces. OK, so I'm a little below that threshold. But wait a minute ...

Then, in my research, I find a new "official" recommendation for daily hydration for adult males. 3.7 liters per day. That's 125 ounces! 125 ounces??? Are you kidding me? If I drank 125 ounces daily I would be peeing 50 times day!

Could I suddenly be dehydrated, which is causing my dry mouth? How could that be, I have been at or under the 64 ounces level for decades. So, if I believe or accept the "new" liquid intake level, I am more than 80 ounces under the new daily standard! According to the new standard, my daily liquid intake is WAY low. But there is no way I could drink over 100 ounces of liquid a day.

So, what will I do? I will increase my daily liquid intake another 17 ounces, bringing my daily total to 61. And we'll see if that solves my dry mouth problem. If it doesn't solve my dry mouth problem, I will spend the rest of my life sucking on sugar-free candies.




No comments:

Post a Comment