The end of bread



When I buy a loaf of bread I don't eat the end pieces. I don't like the ends, also known as "the heel". I don't like the way they look, the way they feel, or the way they taste. I throw them away. I don't eat the ends, unless I'm desperate and forget to buy a new loaf.

I make, and eat, a sandwich on whole wheat bread every day for lunch. I enjoy my sandwich. I would not enjoy it as much if it was made with an end piece(s).

I assume that many other people don't like the end pieces of a loaf of bread. Some may like them. Some may not care one way or another.

I prefer whole wheat bread over other kinds of bread. Some people prefer white bread. Is that "white privilege"? If I preferred white bread, would I be a racist?

P.S. I cannot find out the reason why a loaf of bread has the crusty end pieces (heels). Even google did not have an explanation. Maybe I should ask a baker. Or maybe it's another one of life's big unexplained mysteries.