Broadband NOT faster


U.S. Broadband Speeds Tripled in 3.5 Years

Really? That's what you're telling me?

Really?

from pcmag.com

"In an effort to keep up with an increasingly data-dependent society, U.S. broadband speeds have tripled over the past 3.5 years.

The Federal Communications Commission's fifth Measuring Broadband America report, released Wednesday, said average download speeds increased to nearly 31 megabits per second (Mbps) in September 2014 — up from 10 Mbps in March 2011."



I don't know where the FCC measured broadband speed but it wasn't in my neighborhood, in the second largest city in America. I live in Los Angeles, close to several major movie studios, and my DSL broadband speed has NEVER been faster than a measly 5 Mbps! In fact, I just tested it and my download speed is 5.16 Mbps. And, no, there is no faster broadband service available in my area from my provider, AT&T. So, according to MY internet speed, the FCC's report is completely untrue. Really? Yes.

Now let's take a look at the US cities that have the fastest Internet connection speed:

Washington DC at 40.8 Mbps
Alexandria, VA at 38.7 Mbps

And mine is 5 Mbps? Hmm. The fastest internet speeds are in Washington, D.C. and a major suburb of Washington, D.C. Hmm. And both cities happen to be home to the U.S. federal government and its bureaucrats and politicians. Coincidence? Hmm. Hey, FCC, we live in America too, where's OUR high speed internet???