Twilight Zone nostalgia


I grew up in The Twilight Zone creator Rod Serling's hometown in Upstate New York. As kids, he and I rode the same carousel in the same park (albeit in different eras).


carousel building


The Recreation Park carousel was built in 1925. According to Wikipedia: "This carousel, the gazebo, and in fact, the entire Recreation Park served as inspiration to Rod Serling's classic Twilight Zone episode entitled "Walking Distance."


carousel scene from "Walking Distance"

Serling is honored with a bronze plaque in the floor of the gazebo as well as with beautiful paintings, depicting memorable scenes from The Twilight Zone, on the carousel. Recreation Park is as close to the Twilight Zone as one might get, without crossing over.

It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992."


Starting at age 5, as an elementary school student, I walked through Recreation Park every day to get to and from school.




Yes, even in winter

It is now many decades later and I am, once again, at this point in my life, giving thanks and realizing how truly blessed and grateful I am in having had a truly idyllic outdoor childhood.