Are you deficient?



You may be deficient.

Deficient in vitamins.

Vitamin deficiency can be a problem, a big problem. It's a silent epidemic. A silent epidemic that causes serious health problems worldwide. No, I am not a doctor. Or a health nut. I found out about vitamin deficiency epidemics the hard way, by being an unknowing victim, by being deficient, deficient in 2 major vitamins.

According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH): "Vitamin D deficiency is a global health problem. With all the medical advances of the century, vitamin D deficiency is still epidemic. Over a billion people worldwide are vitamin D deficient or insufficient. Yet no international health organization or governmental body has declared a health emergency to warn the public about the urgent need of achieving sufficient vitamin D blood levels.

Vitamin D3 deficiency can result in obesity, diabetes, hypertension, depression, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, osteoporosis and neuro-degenerative diseases including Alzheimer’s disease. Vitamin D deficiency may even contribute to the development of cancers, especially breast, prostate, and colon cancers." OMG!

Vitamin B12
According to The Pittsburgh Better Times, 2017, "A recent study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association revealed that more than half of Americans take some form of dietary supplement for their overall health. Our friends and family taking multivitamins, fish oils and other vitamin supplements is nothing new and something we might all consider.

However, too few of us recognize a key vitamin we may be lacking—B12. Vitamin B12 deficiency has become a silent epidemic. Some of the most commonly mentioned side effects include fatigue, lack of energy, sluggishness and dizziness. And, in my case, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) . While there is a bucket full of other causes we might blame for such symptoms—such as lack of sleep, depression or even more serious health risks, such as anemia—the scary truth is that a deficiency in vitamin B12 could ultimately be behind many if not all of these issues mentioned here."




As for me, I was deficient in vitamin D3. AND vitamin B12. I was having symptoms, physical and mental symptoms which were decreasing my quality of life. I attributed the symptoms to aging. I had no idea that it may have been vitamin deficiency. It was. Throughout my adult lifetime, my doctors never checked my vitamin levels. I, the patient, upon doing my own research online, had to ask my doctor to test me for vitamin deficiency. When my doctor orders blood testing for me (1-2 times a year), among other things, the blood test normally includes potassium, calcium and protein. It does NOT normally include vitamins.

The next time you have blood tests, ask your doctor to check your vitamin levels!!! Especially vitamin D and vitamin B12

Supplements
What about taking vitamin supplements to make sure you're getting enough vitamins? Good idea? Yes. And No. You may or may not be doing yourself good. I am not a doctor or a nutritionist, but the research I did reveals that the usual over the counter multivitamins are often not strong enough - or TOO strong. Even if you take daily supplements, do not assume you are getting enough of the essential vitamins if you happen to be deficient - and don't know it. Or, you may be taking too much of a vitamin you may not need and it could cause health problems. If possible, get tested. I do it via my doctor. I do not know how (or if) a nutritionist can test to determine nutritional and vitamin deficiencies, or if the testing is covered by health insurance. I looked online but it was not clearly revealed.